The course develops an understanding of concepts such as sustainability, quality of life, sustainable communities and carrying capacity. It builds awareness of the links between the environment, society and the economy, education for sustainable development and develops skills of analysis (auditing). Learners facilitate a workshop on an environmental issue of their choice incorporating education for sustainable development methodologies, carry out a project on the life cycle analysis of a product and complete a group project on developing a sustainable community.
By the end of the training participants will:
- acquire a general knowledge and understanding of the term sustainable development
- develop an awareness of the interactions between society, economics and the environment at a local and global level
- develop skills of problem solving, critical thinking and systems thinking
- skills of data recording, analysis and evaluation (e.g. environmental auditing and indicator development)
- develop communication and facilitation skills
This course is currently being offered under our Green Pathways ll Programme.