Level 4 : Growing Vegetables
ECO-UNESCO has become widely acknowledged as an expert training organisation in sustainability in Ireland.
ECO-UNESCO is an accredited QQI centre operating under the qualities and standards set out by QQI, the National Awarding Body.
Programme and Award Name: Growing Vegetables
Award Type: Minor
Awarding Body: QQI
NFQ Level: 4
Credit Value: 10
Duration: 100 hours (normally over 12 weeks)
Programme Purpose and Learning Outcomes
Programme Purpose: To equip the learner with the relevant knowledge, skill and competence to plant, grow and maintain a range of vegetables under supervision.
On successful completion of the course, learners will be able to;
- State the principles of crop rotation including a rationale and examples
- State the major factors affecting soil suitability for vegetable production to include soil composition, nutrient availability, water holding capacity, drainage, organic matter content and compaction
- Prepare ground for vegetable growing to include digging, breaking up of soil, removal of debris, weeds and large stones to form suitable surface
- Apply compost, manure and fertiliser to a stated rate at planting and throughout the growing season
- Grow a range of vegetables to include brassicas, legumes, root crops and salad crops from seeds, including both station and drill sown, tubers, sets, plugs and transplants
- Maintain growing vegetable crops to include watering, weather and pest protection, training and supporting
- Deal with common pests and diseases of vegetable crops to include identification and control by a range of methods
- Deal with weeds to include identification and control by a range of methods
- Harvest a range of vegetables to include selection, grading and packing
- Operate within appropriate safety procedures to create and maintain a safe working environment including safety standards regarding lifting, carrying and handling plants, tools and equipment.
Entry Requirements, Assessment and Transfer & Progression
- Must be able to demonstrate the levels of knowledge, skill and competence associated with NFQ level 3
- Competent in written and spoken English
- Be comfortable studying in a virtual learning environment (VLE)
Skills Demonstration: 80%
Transfer and Progression
This minor award can be used to meet the requirements of the following major awards; 4M1994 | Level 4 | Horticulture
If you want to know more about the QQI Accredited Training