Join our team!
Programme Coordinator – Young Environmentalist Awards
This is a great opportunity to join an organisation that is making a real difference to the lives of young people and the environment. If you have a passion for youth development, environmental education, are enthusiastic, motivated with project management and event skills then we would love to hear from you.
Salary: Dependent on experience. A salary scale will apply.
Contract: 2 Year Fixed Term with a view to extension
Reporting to: The Operations & Development Manager
Location: 9 Burgh Quay, Dublin 2
As Young Environmentalist Awards Programme Coordinator you will be responsible for coordinating and delivering the Young Environmentalist Awards (YEA), ECO-UNESCOs flagship programme.
The Young Environmentalist Awards is Irelands leading environmental awards programme for young people recognizing and rewarding their work in environmental protection through local environmental action projects. Involving over 4000 participants each year, the Awards engage young people through schools, youth groups and communities across Ireland, supporting them to take action on environmental issues and celebrating their passion and creativity.
The Programme Coordinator is the cornerstone of the Awards, taking ownership of the programme delivery from inception to completion, ensuring the programme goals of environmental protection, youth empowerment is met throughout. This is a varied and challenging role, but one that rewards in equal measure.
- Running all phases of the Young Environmentalist Awards (YEA) programme, Irelands all-island environmental awards programme for 10–18-year-olds including.
- Recruitment & Registration
- Support & Training incl.
- YEA Mentor (Local volunteer/group leader) support– YEA Information provision
- YEA Roadshow and group visits
- Leader/teacher/youth trainings
- Support of project groups
- Judging and evaluation
- Managing full judging process
- Managing ECO-Dens semi-finals events
- Showcase & Awards
- Event Management of Annual Showcase events.
- Driving increased numbers of projects and participants taking part in the programme from secondary schools, youth groups, Youthreach Centres and community groups on an a regional (all-Ireland) and per category basis.
- Supporting and up skilling YEA Mentors and YEA Groups in the use and implementation of the ‘6-Steps to Success’ framework for developing their local environmental action projects & increasing use of the YEA Transition Year module and supporting teachers in its use.
- In conjunction with the Communications Officer, organising ECO-Dens in four regions and the Annual Young Environmentalist Showcase and Awards Ceremony.
- Supporting the development and progression of Young Environmentalist Awards groups in the establishment of ECO-UNESCO clubs and supporting these Clubs as part of the national network of ECO-UNESCO Clubs.
- Promote use of Young Environmentalist Handbook and produce other educational resources as required.
- Monitoring and Evaluating the programme and its impact on an ongoing basis and carrying out an end of year evaluation and report.
- Running specific funded YEA related programmes in conjunction with Local Authorities.
- Liaising with and supporting ECO-UNESCO’s other Youth programmes to participate in the YEA programme.
- In conjunction with the National Director and Operations Manager, research and establish new elements for the Young Environmentalist Awards programme.
- Assisting with other areas of ECO-UNESCO’s programmes and service work
- Managing the administration of the programme, including associated IT systems.
Fundraising, Grant Writing & Reporting:
- Writing funding grants & proposals for key stakeholders, including subsequent reporting on an annual basis.
- Identify funding and sponsorship opportunities for the Young Environmentalist Awards and related programmes, developing and implementing a fundraising and sponsorship strategy in conjunction with the National Director.
- Liaising with schools, youth groups, ETB’s, media partners and others
- Promoting ECO-UNESCO through talks, workshops, seminars and presentations
- Reporting on a regular basis to the National Director, Board of Directors and Government departments
- Undertaking any other such relevant duties as directed
This role description is not to be regarded as exclusive or exhaustive. It is intended as an outline indication of the areas of activity and can be amended. ECO-UNESCO reserves the right to reassign staff as appropriate and necessary.
Personal Specification (E – Essential; D- Desirable)
3rd Level Qualification in a related field – in sustainable development/environmental studies or science / ecology/biology/ geography/ education
An education or youth work qualification would be beneficial
At least 2 years work experience in direct work with and young people (10-18); youth work, education and/or environmental education/sustainable development and /or in a similar youth scheme/programme
Experience in developing and delivering youth, education and training programmes
Demonstrable organization skills, having managed multiple priorities and adherence to deadlines
Budgetary management experience from initial planning through to end of project reporting.
A strong interest in the environment international development and working with young people.
A full, clean driving license.
Knowledge, Skills and Disposition
Knowledge of the youth work sector and education system in Ireland
Knowledge of education for sustainable development/development education in Ireland
Knowledge of international development issues relating to Sustainability and the SDG’s
Excellent organisational skills
Excellent communications and interpersonal skills
Excellent report writing, analytical and computer skills
Ability to work to tight deadlines and under pressure
Ability to manage a complex workload
Working knowledge of IT systems (e.g., Salesforce, Office 365)
Ability to critically analyse data and make appropriate decisions
Ability to work as part of a team
Be a self-starter with a positive, can do attitude at all times
Be dependable and flexible
Be committed to working as part of a team with a commitment to the values and principles of ECO-UNESCO
Be able to take direction
Position Start Date:
Early applications are encouraged as interviews will be held regularly
Starting Salary (commensurate with experience)
Closing Date for receipt of Applications – 12pm Tuesday 2 February 2021
Interviews are provisionally scheduled to be held week commencing 8 February 2021
Successful applicants may be requested to prepare a short presentation during the selection process.
Please send a copy of a completed Application Form – See below – with a Cover Letter to: email@example.com
Please mark in subject line Employment Opportunities – Programme Coordinator – YEA (Private and Confidential)
Applicants may be placed on a panel for positions that may arise in the future.
By completing and submitting this form you consent to ECO-UNESCO processing the personal data provided to assess this application for employment. No further processing of your data will occur beyond this purpose.
ECO-UNESCO will retain unsuccessful applications for up to 12 months, after which it will be deleted.